Emerging Resident Experts in Wheaton
Posted by meganmoriarty on June 25, 2010
This week at Tuesdays Together, we saw firsthand the emergence of another “resident expert”. A big part of the success of the Neighbors Campaign has been transferring knowledge from our professional resource partners and Community Connectors to the neighbors themselves. For example, we have identified a few resident experts in our midst already:
- Gavin is our go-to-guy for anything to do with Montgomery College.
- Hector knows all about photography and videography.
- Alpha helps others connect to GED programs in the area.
- Irene is a pro at figuring out the how to use the library computers.
- Teresa knows about child care licensing procedures.
This Tuesday, we witnessed Maria del Carmen become our Montgomery Cares expert (the network of clinics for the uninsured in the County). When two different neighbors had questions about medical issues during mutual support, it was Maria del Carmen, not one of the Community Connectors, that provided answers. Since she came to Tuesdays Together with similar questions, she is the perfect one to tell others how to navigate this health care system.